A unique spin on the classic playground, China’s senior playgrounds have begun to infiltrate the rest of the world. Inspired by the cultural tradition of morning exercise for elderly Chinese people, the playgrounds offer modified exercise machines that help keep seniors mobile and outdoors. The parks are uniquely made so that they are accessible, and have low-impact exercises as well as more traditional workout machines. In Malaga, an average of 50,000 seniors use this free playground every week, and it serves as a social gathering as much as a place to exercise. Read the full article here.
- DWELL: A 1952 Midcentury Becomes a Wondrous, Wheelchair-Accessible Home
- Use It or Lose It: Maintaining Your Mobility As You Age
- SPINALCORD: 5 Amazing Wheelchair Accessible Tiny Homes
- BISNOW: Did Developers Badly Miscalculate How, Where Seniors Want To Live?
- DS: Before & After: A Modern, Wheelchair-Accessible Bathroom